On this page
YACVic is committed to youth participation and an enhanced model of youth engagement for our organisation. Our model aims to engage a wider range of young people in a broader scope of activities both within and outside our organisation.
- Do you think every Victorian should have access to green space and clean air, the ability to raise their concerns about environmental pollution and access to information on environmental issues so they can make informed decisions?
- Do you want to join a focus group to share your views with the Victorian Government?
- Enjoy a free lunch and a $50 EFTPOS card for your involvement!
- What are you passionate about? Do you have an opinion on an issue affecting young people?
- Share your thoughts with over 2,700 young people and youth workers across the Victorian youth sector
- Ongoing, voluntary opportunity to have your work published online
- Are you aged 18-25 and live, study, or work in rural or regional Victoria and passionate about an issue in your community?
- Accelerate an advocacy project you are already working on, or something you have always wanted to start.
- Receive support, training, resources, networking opportunities and professional development from YACVic.
What is the youth participation model?
YACVic’s youth participation model responds to feedback from young people about wanting to get involved in our organisation and other opportunities we offer. Now, instead of having a single opportunity to engage with young people – through our Youth Reference Group (YRG) – we look for, and offer, opportunities across our organisation (and from outside) to work with and alongside young people.
- Young people are experts in their own lives and experiences
- Young people’s participation in civic and community life is a human right
- The voices of young people need amplification and connection to policy makers
Now, whatever the opportunity is, we put the call out by email and our website to all our young members (there are over 120 of you). You’ll receive an info sheet with the opportunity, time commitment, skills required, support you’ll get from us and what we need from you in return. If you’re interested, fill in a short form and email it back to us. Whatever the outcome, you’ll hear back from us in a specified timeframe.
What is an ‘opportunity’?
Good question! So far we’ve offered things like two volunteers to attend a full-day consultation with Melbourne Museum on their new 'Human Body' exhibit, three volunteers to attend a regular reference group meeting on the implementation of the government’s family violence reforms, an opportunity to be a paid facilitator at the Victorian Government’s Youth Summit, a paid graphic design project to re-brand YDAS, and a paid internship to assist our social media activity. In the future we’ll be looking for four or five young people we can train in some basic human resources processes so that we can have a pool of young people to help us on our recruitment panels.
Who makes the decision and how?
YACVic staff make the decision on who’s best to take up the opportunity. But each decision is different: if it’s a big opportunity or a paid gig, then we may involve a small group of young people to help us make the choice. We will keep a record of who’s had what opportunity in the past to ensure we’re getting a good spread of young people involved. (But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t put your hand up for more than one thing).
Who oversees the work?
Everyone at YACVic has a stake in this model. The board receive updates on it at every board meeting and the CEO is very engaged in its implementation. Now, all of the team are thinking about ways to engage young people in their work. On a day-to-day basis, YACVic’s participation and development officer, Sam Champion, is managing this work. Sam is ably assisted by the Participation Review Implementation and Monitoring Group, which is a big name for a group of (mainly) young people who guide and steer our work on this model.
Want to know more?
Contact Sam at email@example.com. We’re also keen to hear from you if you’ve got an idea for the name of our model!