On this page
YACVic is committed to youth participation and an enhanced model of youth engagement for our organisation. Our model aims to engage a wider range of young people in a broader scope of activities both within and outside our organisation.
- Are you aged 12 to 25 and living, working or studying in Victoria?
- Do you want to have your say over your future?
- Join an upcoming youth-led community forum to have your say
Some forums will be specific to local areas and others will be focused on specific groups of young people. You can choose to attend the forum that is most relevant to you.
COVID-19 has disproportionately impacted young people and we're calling on the Victorian Government to dedicate investment in our future.
- Are you aged 12 to 25 whose life has been affected by COVID-19?
- Do you want young people's voices to be heard?
- Show the Victorian Government why we need a dedicated investment in young people's lives
- Potential opportunity to meet your MP and use your story for advocacy
The Victorian Department of Justice and Community Safety (DJCS) are looking to work with young people to help shape their youth engagement strategy.
- Are you a young Victorian aged 15 to 20 and interested in voicing your thoughts on DJCS’s communication and engagement strategy with young people?
- Have you or someone you know (family or friends) had experience with the justice or community safety system?
- Or maybe you’re just passionate about youth engagement and want to participate in a co-design process with the Victorian Government!
DJCS’s work involves many aspects of our daily community lives, therefore we are inviting any and all young people who are passionate about their community to apply for this opportunity!
The Youth Employment Program in the Victorian Public Service that will create more employment opportunities for young people seeking employment. If you are:
- Aged between 17 and 29 at the time of application
- Eligible to work for the Victorian government
Have a look at the opportunity to see if you can apply.
- Do you have a story to share about being a young Victorian or working with young people?
- Share your opinion with thousands of young people and youth workers across the Victorian youth sector.
Submissions are open on a rolling basis, voluntary opportunity.
What is the youth participation model?
YACVic’s youth participation model responds to feedback from young people about wanting to get involved in our organisation and other opportunities we offer. Now, instead of having a single opportunity to engage with young people – through our Youth Reference Group (YRG) – we look for, and offer, opportunities across our organisation (and from outside) to work with and alongside young people.
- Young people are experts in their own lives and experiences
- Young people’s participation in civic and community life is a human right
- The voices of young people need amplification and connection to policy makers
Now, whatever the opportunity is, we put the call out by email and our website to all our young members (there are over 200 of you). You’ll receive an info sheet with the opportunity, time commitment, skills required, support you’ll get from us and what we need from you in return. If you’re interested, fill in a short form and email it back to us. Whatever the outcome, you’ll hear back from us in a specified timeframe.
What is an ‘opportunity’?
Good question! So far we’ve offered things like two volunteers to attend a full-day consultation with Melbourne Museum on their new 'Human Body' exhibit, three volunteers to attend a regular reference group meeting on the implementation of the government’s family violence reforms, an opportunity to be a paid facilitator at the Victorian Government’s Youth Summit, a paid graphic design project to re-brand YDAS, and a paid internship to assist our social media activity. In the future we’ll be looking for four or five young people we can train in some basic human resources processes so that we can have a pool of young people to help us on our recruitment panels.
Who makes the decision and how?
YACVic staff make the decision on who’s best to take up the opportunity. But each decision is different: if it’s a big opportunity or a paid gig, then we may involve a small group of young people to help us make the choice. We will keep a record of who’s had what opportunity in the past to ensure we’re getting a good spread of young people involved. (But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t put your hand up for more than one thing.)
Who oversees the work?
Everyone at YACVic has a stake in this model. The board receive updates on it at every board meeting and the CEO is very engaged in its implementation. Now, all of the team are thinking about ways to engage young people in their work. On a day-to-day basis, Sam Champion, YACVic’s participation and development coordinator, is managing this work. Sam is ably assisted by the Participation Review Implementation and Monitoring Group, which is a big name for a group of (mainly) young people who guide and steer our work on this model.
Want to know more?
Contact Sam at email@example.com. We’re also keen to hear from you if you’ve got an idea for the name of our model!