The Youth Disability Advocacy Service (YDAS) runs the Emerging Young Leaders Program.
Our free online leadership program is for young Victorians who identify as having a disability, chronic illness, being blind or vision impaired, being Deaf, neurodiverse and/or having lived experience of mental health issues.
Is this program for me?
You can apply if you:
- are aged between 14 – 19 or 20-25 and
- live in Victoria and
- identify as having a disability, chronic illness, being blind or vision impaired, being Deaf, neurodiverse and/or having lived experience of mental health issues. We accept any and all types of disability. If you are not sure whether you are eligible, you can ask, but the answer is probably yes.
Why should I join?
- Grow your leadership and advocacy skills
- Gain confidence working in a team
- Get opportunities for jobs, volunteering, and other ways to continue
- It's free!
Here’s what people who have done the program have said:
“I was able to meet people who wouldn't judge me and I was able to become more confident.” – Jasmine
“Fun, great people and the opportunity to understand more about myself and those who also experience challenges of disability.” – Natasha
“At the start I didn't talk much, but then I got better at answering the questions. Less shy.” – Chelsea
What will I be doing?
- Take part in 4 workshops designed with and for disabled young people.
- These workshops will all be online using video chat.
These workshops will support you to:
- develop your leadership, teamwork, communication and project skills
- improve your understanding of access, inclusion and advocacy
- learn from and work with other leaders with disability.
- You will be with up to 15 participants in 4 half-day workshops.
If you are doing the Duke of Ed then time spent in these workshops will go towards the hours you need to complete your Award.
Applications are now closed for the 2020 Emerging Young Leaders Program.
If you would like to attend the leadership program in 2021 click here to join our waitlist.
Contact Simon Green if you have any questions:
Phone: 0447 678 653
With the support of the NDIA
With the support of CYDA
YDAS acknowledges the support of the Victorian Government