On this page
The Youth Disability Advocacy Service or YDAS runs the Young Leaders Program.
Our free online leadership program is for young Victorians who identify as:
- having a disability
- having a health condition or chronic illness
- neurodiverse or autistic
- Deaf, deaf or hard of hearing
- blind or vision impaired
- having lived experience of mental health issues.
Is this program for me?
You can apply if you:
- are aged between 14 – 19 or 20 – 25 years old and
- live in Victoria and
- identify as having a disability, health condition, chronic illness, being blind or vision impaired, being Deaf, neurodiverse and/or having lived experience of mental health issues.
We accept any and all types of disability. If you are not sure whether you are eligible, you can ask, but the answer is probably yes.
Why should I join?
- Grow your leadership and advocacy skills
- Gain confidence working in a team
- Get opportunities for jobs, volunteering, and other ways to continue
- It's free!
Here’s what people who have done the program have said:
“I was able to meet people who wouldn't judge me and I was able to become more confident.” – Jasmine
“Fun, great people and the opportunity to understand more about myself and those who also experience challenges of disability.” – Natasha
“At the start I didn't talk much, but then I got better at answering the questions. Less shy.” – Chelsea
What will I be doing?
- Take part in 4 workshops designed with and for disabled young people.
- These workshops will all be online using video chat.
These workshops will support you to:
- develop your leadership, teamwork, communication and project skills
- improve your understanding of access, inclusion and advocacy
- learn from and work with other leaders with disability.
- You will be with up to 15 young leaders in 4 half-day workshops.
If you are doing the Duke of Ed then time spent in these workshops will go towards the hours you need to complete your Award.
Apply now: 14 to 19 years old
There are 2 Young Leaders Program workshop series running this year for young people aged 14 to 19 years old. Click the links below to apply for the June/July or September workshops.
June and July workshops are held on 29 and 30 June and 6 and 7 July 2021. Applications close Tuesday 1 June 2021.
September workshops are held on 21, 22, 28 and 29 September 2021. Applications close Tuesday 24 August 2021.
Apply now: 20 to 25 years old
There are 2 Young Leaders Program workshop series running this year for young people aged 20 to 25 years old. Click the links below to apply for the May or November workshops.
May workshops will be held on 5, 12, 19 and 26 May 2021. Applications for our May workshops are now closed.
November workshops will be held on 3, 10, 17 and 24 November 2021. Applications close Tuesday 5 October 2021.
Contact Simon Green if you have any other questions:
Phone: 0447 678 653
With the support of the NDIA
With the support of CYDA
YDAS acknowledges the support of the Victorian Government