On this page
Applications for this opportunity are now closed. We were overwhelmed by the number of applications. Thank you to everyone who applied.
We're looking for 5 disabled young people to lead an exciting new project creating online content about disability pride.
Disability pride means different things to different people. It can mean being proud of who you are and embracing your disabilities. It can also mean feeling confident and not hiding your disability.
About the opportunity
We are looking for 5 disabled young people to join our Project Advisory Group and lead the disability pride project.
You will work together with other disabled young people to:
- Lead the disability pride project.
- Share your ideas and experiences about disability pride.
- Decide what topics are important to cover in the resources.
- Design resources about disability pride for disabled young people and the wider community.
- Create resources such as videos, social media, blog posts, art, zines, and more.
The 5 Project Advisory Group members will attend 4 online workshops to co-design the disability pride resources. They can also attend a video shoot in Melbourne (optional).
This is a paid opportunity with approximately 18 hours of work total over 3 months.
You will be paid $50 per hour for up to approximately $900/18 hours work. The exact amount will depend on the number of hours you work.
Who can apply?
We are recruiting 5 young people who identify as:
- Having a disability, health condition, or chronic illness
- Neurodiverse or autistic
- Deaf, deaf or hard of hearing
- Blind or vision impaired
- Having lived experience of mental health issues.
You must also:
- Be 12 to 25 years old and
- Live in Victoria
We want to make sure the group represents different parts of the disability community. We want to see applications from:
- LGBTQIA+ young people
- First Nations young people
- Culturally diverse young people.
- Young people who are TAC clients and/or have an acquired disability.
Online workshop dates
These are the Project Advisory Group online workshop dates and times. Workshops will run for 2 hours and include lots of breaks.
Workshop 1: Thursday 30 March 2023, 4-6pm
- Introduction to the Disability Pride Project
Workshop 2: Thursday 13 April 2023, 4pm-6pm
- Creative brainstorm session #1
Workshop 3: Thursday 20 April 2023, 4pm-6pm
- Creative brainstorm session #2
Workshop 4: Thursday 4 May 2023, 4pm-6pm
- Resource development and planning
May/June 2023: Content Creation
- In May, you will work together with other disabled young people and the YDAS team to create the resources, including filming social media content.
- In June, the resources will be published and shared online.
Applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied.
If you have any questions about the project or need support to submit an application, contact Jun (he/him) at firstname.lastname@example.org or 0457 453 784.
The Youth Disability Advocacy Service (YDAS) is an advocacy organisation that works with disabled young people who are aged 12 to 25.
We work with disabled young people in Victoria to make sure you can speak up and are being treated fairly. We also work on projects with disabled young people, like this disability pride project.
This project is supported by the Transport Accident Commission (TAC).