On this page
YACVic’s Board of Governance warmly invites you to attend YACVic’s 2018 annual general meeting (AGM).
We hope you can join us.
This year, the following board positions are available:
- Two positions for a non-young person (aged over 25 years)
- Two positions for young people (aged between 12 and 25)*
- One position for a rural person**
*Nominees for designated young person positions must be between the ages of 12 and 25 (inclusive) on the date of the AGM.
**Rural means a person (excluding a young person) who is a representative of the rural/regional sector of Victoria.
To nominate for these positions, please read the board position description below, complete and follow the instructions on the nomination form.
Nominations close at 5pm on Tuesday 2 October 2018.
Further information about what you need to include with your nomination can be found on the attached nomination form.
Please note that to be eligible to nominate (and vote for those nominating) you must be a current, paid-up member of YACVic.
This year, voting for all YACVic Board positions will be conducted electronically in accordance with our constitution. You will receive an email with voting instructions in the coming weeks.
Three things to consider when you make your board nomination and/or vote:
- Just over a year ago our CEO Leo Fieldgrass took over from Georgie Ferrari who had been leading YACVic for 14 years. That’s a big change. And as you vote we are moving from our long-time home on Flinders St to a new office in Melbourne’s CBD. Another big change. This means stability in leadership is one of our top priorities for the Board.
- We take our role very seriously, which means we expect our Board members to be more than just interested in the organisation’s work. Our Board members need to be committed to standing up with and for Victoria’s young people and advocating for the key role of a peak body in the sector.
- We embrace diversity and we mean that in every way possible. You may not see yourself or someone on the nominee list as board material, but your/their lived experience could be just what we need.
YACVic Board position description
Youth Affairs Council Victoria is the peak body for young people in Victoria. It is the uniting voice of the sector and an important advocate for young people’s issues.
The Board of Governance is elected by YACVic’s members and is responsible for ensuring that YACVic is governed in a way that is compliant with the law and allows the organisation to achieve its mission. While the Board oversees the effective operation of YACVic and sets the strategic vision and direction of the organisation, the CEO is responsible for the day-to-day management decisions. The CEO reports directly to the Board.
The Board is made up of a maximum of eight YACVic members, up to four of whom must be aged 25 or younger when elected. At least one Board member must reside outside metropolitan Melbourne, and Board members are elected for two years.
Interested in nominating but have a question?
We look forward to welcoming you at the AGM on 25 October. If you have any questions about nominations or the AGM, please contact Desney Millen on [email protected] or 0438 638 734.
Please find YACVic’s Constitution here.
Youth Affairs Council Victoria
Annual General Meeting
4.00pm Thursday 25 October 2018
Room 8, Jasper Hotel, 489 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne
The Hon. Jenny Mikakos, Minister for Families and Children and Minister for Youth Affairs
Vicki Sutton, CEO, Melbourne City Mission
Jill McCabe, Assistant Director, Office for Youth and Economic Inclusion
1. Welcome and acknowledgement of Country
2. Special guest speaker: The Hon. Jenny Mikakos, Minister for Families and Children and Minister for Youth Affairs
3. Presentation: Mo, YACVic Young Thinker in Residence sponsored by Melbourne City Mission
4. Special guest speaker: Vicki Sutton, CEO, Melbourne City Mission
5. Presentation: Harry, YACVic Young Thinker in Residence sponsored by the Victorian Government Office for Youth
6. Special guest speaker: Jill McCabe, Assistant Director, Victorian Government Office for Youth and Economic Inclusion
7. AGM apologies
8. Approval of 2017 annual general meeting minutes
- Chief Executive Officer
10. Appointment of auditor and public officer
11. Announcement of election results
- Board members - Over 25
- Board members – Under 25
- Board member - Rural
YACVic is a child safe organisation. By attending this event, you agree to join us in our commitment to child safety.