On this page
2 – 3 days (15.2 – 22.8 hours) per week, negotiable
$60,248.24 p.a. pro-rated, classified under the SCHADS Award at Employment Level 3.1.
(YACVic pays above award rates, with generous T&C.)
This is a fixed term Part Time contract, ending 28 August 2020, with potential for renewal dependent on performance and funding.
Based in Melbourne CBD. The role will be required to occasionally travel to and/or work from other sites.
About Youth Affairs Council Victoria (YACVic)
Youth Affairs Council Victoria (YACVic) is the peak body and leading policy advocate on young people’s issues in Victoria. YACVic’s vision is that the rights of young people in Victoria are respected, and they are active, visible and valued in their communities.
YACVic is an independent, for-purpose, member-driven organisation that represents young people (aged 12–25 years) and the sector that works with them.
YACVic provides additional targeted advocacy and services through our key services, YACVic Rural and the Youth Disability Advocacy Service, and our auspice partners, the Koorie Youth Council and the Victorian Student Representative Council.
About the role
The Participation and Events Officer is an exciting role that supports YACVic’s strategic goals to promote Youth Participation and develop the Youth Sector.
You will coordinate and support meaningful opportunities and engaging events for young people, administer a training and events calendar, and support colleagues by coordinating training events, workshops and consultations.
You will also support the YACVic Events Manager to organise and deliver the first Victorian youth sector conference in three years!
While the position will support all YACVic policy and advocacy work, it will have a particular focus on issues of disability and rural/regional young people, and therefore will also work closely with the Managers of the Youth Disability Advocacy Service (YDAS) and YACVic Rural.
- Managing YACVic event preparation and logistics, as well as, on the day, coordinating event delivery and post event requirements. This will include playing a support role in organising and delivering the 2020 YACVic Youth Sector Conference and Youth Forum in August 2020;
- Developing and managing the annual training calendar with the leadership team, incorporating all regulatory, in-house and external training sessions;
- Liaising with training facilitators to confirm correct training/consultation materials and room set-up;
- Arranging venues and catering, creating attendee lists, attending events (where appropriate) to coordinate room set up and AV, briefing facilitator/s and welcoming guests, distributing materials and recording attendance;
- Coordinating the fee-for-service booking system, creating information for event webpages, monitoring and taking bookings, and managing transfers and cancellations;
- Working with the Participation and Development Coordinator (PDC) to identify and coordinate youth participation opportunities for YACVic young members, supervising and supporting young people as required;
Coordinating registrations and meetings for the Youth Participation Practice Network (YPPN).
You will be required to perform these duties, and any other duties the employer may assign to you, having regard to your skills, training and experience.
Key selection criteria
- Experience in coordinating events and customer/client relationships.
- Proven organisational, administrative and time management skills, with the ability to manage competing demands.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including speaking in front of / facilitating groups.
- Demonstrated understanding and experience of youth engagement, empowerment and/or youth participation, especially in relation to working inclusively with young people with diverse needs and/or backgrounds. This experience may have been gained through paid/voluntary work, through being a participant in a youth group/initiative or through lived experience.
- Demonstrated experience working confidently with Microsoft programs – preferably including Office 365.
- Demonstrated understanding and/or experience of the youth and community sector
YACVic is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People with disabilities, people from culturally and/or linguistically diverse backgrounds and Aboriginal people are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
We promote the safety, wellbeing and inclusion of all children and young people, including those with a disability, those who are Aboriginal or those from refugee or migrant backgrounds or who identify as LGBTIQA+ . We take child protection very seriously. All employees are subject to screening and assessment against the Victorian child safe standards, including rigorous background, identity and reference checks. The successful applicant must provide a current Working With Children Check and Police Check (costs reimbursed) before commencing in the role and must agree to adhere to our child safe policy and code of conduct.
Applications should be emailed to Steph Brenkovich, HR & Office Manager, at email@example.com with Participation and Events Officer in the subject line and must include:
- A brief cover letter
- Your resume
- Your answers to the Key Selection Criteria
- Contact details for a minimum of two referees, including your most recent line manager (we will not contact referees without your permission).
Only applications that follow the above instructions will be considered.
Applications close 5pm Monday 30 March with interviews to be held the week of 6 April 2020 in Melbourne CBD.
If you have any questions about the role, please contact Steph Brenkovich at firstname.lastname@example.org or on (03) 9267 3700