Do you wish that PRIDE March was an everyday event? Are Lady GaGa or RuPaul like everything for you? Can you co-ordinate and decorate glitter-filled events so that it is bound to get good media coverage? And do you want to smash the stigma against being LGBTIQ+? OMG have we got a position for you!
We already know that you are stylish but are you an organised, savvy operator who is passionate about Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex and Queer (LGBTIQ+) young people’s rights but are you a brilliant communicator as well?
We’re looking for a Rainbow Projects and Communications Assistant to help us plan and create quality content that empowers young LGBTIQ+ Victorians and the sector that supports them.
0.6 EFT over 3 days per week.
$52,877.76 p.a. pro-rated, classified under the SCHADS Award at Employment Level 2.1.
This is a fixed term 12 month contract, with potential for renewal dependent on performance and funding.
Youth Affairs Council Victoria (YACVic) is the peak body and leading policy advocate on young people’s issues in Victoria. Our vision is that young Victorians have their rights upheld and are valued as active participants in their communities, including the LGBTIQ+ community. As an independent, not-for-profit, member-driven organisation, we represent young people (aged 12–25 years) and youth sector professionals in Victoria.
About the role
The Rainbow Project and Communications Assistant is a split role, half of which is dedicated to co-ordinating the next round of The Healthy Equal Youth (HEY) Grants and HEY Day, and the other half supporting the YACVic communications team.
- The HEY Project was established in 2010 to improve the mental health outcomes of (LGBTIQ+) young Victorians. The HEY Partners, a network of organisations, are funded to deliver services, activities, training and professional development for this target group. HEY Partners, the HEY annual grants and HEY Day are coordinated by YACVic.
- In supporting the YACVic communications team, you will use and develop your communications skills across a number of platforms, including web, newsletters and social media to inform and influence young people, the youth sector, our members and government about YACVic’s activities and advocacy.
You will work in a fast-paced environment and work across a number of diverse tasks at the same time.
Key Responsibilities for HEY Project
- Co-ordinate a community of practice through the HEY Partners, and assist with quarterly meetings
- Organise regular events for the HEY Project
- Administer the annual HEY Grants
- Co-ordinate HEY Project-related communications
Key responsibilities for Communications
- Produce regular newsletters and member communications
- Assist in day-to-day social media planning and publishing
- Co-ordinate the publishing of content for the YACVic blog
- Maintain content on the YACVic website
- Support the activities of YACVic’s partner agencies
You will be required to perform these duties, and any other duties the employer may assign to you, having regard to your skills, training and experience.
This role reports to the Media and Communications Manager, who is a proud ally and pure delight to work for.
YACVic promotes the safety, wellbeing and inclusion of all children and young people, including those with a disability, those who are Aboriginal or those from refugee or migrant backgrounds. We take child protection very seriously. All employees are subject to screening and assessment against child safety standards, including rigorous background, identity and reference checks. The successful applicant will require a current Working with Children Check and Police Check (costs reimbursed) and must agree to adhere to our child safe policy and code of conduct.
Applications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with Rainbow Project and Communications Assistant in the subject line and must include:
- A brief cover letter
- Your resume
- Your answers to the Key Selection Criteria (in full position description linked below).
- Contact details for a minimum of two referees, including your most recent line manager (we will not contact referees without your permission).
Applications close on 26 August 2019 at 9am.
Interviews are likely to be held from 27 August 2019.
If you have any questions about the role, please contact Media and Communications Manager, Thomas Feng on email@example.com or 03 9267 3701