The Youth Reference Group (we spell it ‘the YRG’ but we call it ‘the yurg’!) is a group of diverse young advocates who work with YACVic to take action on issues facing young people in Victoria. The YRG are all YACVic young members, and they meet every month to discuss their priorities and plan projects.
What does the YRG do?
The YRG provides a forum for young people to:
- develop proposals, campaigns, and projects that relate to YACVic's overall work,
- provide advice to YACVic about our work and the way that we engage with young people, and
- provide advice to community organisations and government departments about a range of issues affecting the lives of young Victorians.
Previous YRG projects include:
- 'Cop That': bridging the gap between young people and law enforcement officers, a peer led research project undertaken with Youthlaw
- Hey did you know?, a social media campaign that provides information about opportunities for YOUth, from the youth, non-for profit and the corporate sector
- 'Keep calm and join YACVic', a campaign to increase YACVic's engagement with young Victorians.
The 2012 Youth Reference Group with former Minister for Youth Affairs and Minister for Environment and Climate Change, Ryan Smith.