The Youth Affairs Council of Victoria (YACVic) is a member-driven organisation. We know that by having a strong membership base, young people and youth issues will be heard. YACVic’s vision is for a Victorian community in which all young people are valued as active participants, have their rights respected and are treated fairly and with respect.
To achieve this YACVic:
- Listens to and works with young people and the workers and organisations that support them;
- Identifies and advocates on issues that affect young people;
- Supports and resources the sector that works with young people;
- Supports young people’s participation and self-advocacy; and
- Maintains an independent and robust relationship with government.
Young members can:
- Join the Youth Reference Group (YRG) - a group of 15 young people who meet monthly to discuss a broad range of issues relating to young people and plan projects around those issues.
- Nominate to be on our Board of Governance (BOG)
- Nominate for the Young Media Spokesperson (YMS - we love acronyms!) This position means being on both the BOG and the YRG and responding to media enquiries along with the CEO of YACVic
- Consultations / Forums - get involved and get heard! We often do call outs for young people’s voices for inclusion in our policy submissions.
- Receive a 50% discount for membership to the Australian Youth Affairs Coalition (AYAC). Simply tick the appropriate membership category and pay half price when joining. To sign up, head to the AYAC website.
When you are a member you will get:
- Announce - our fortnightly email bulletin, which lists upcoming events, jobs, forums, training and opportunities for and around the youth sector.
- Yikes! - our bi-monthly newsletter which is packed with info about what is happening in the youth sector. You will receive it by email but if you would prefer it in hardcopy, let us know.
- Discounted entry to our forums and conferences