APPLICATIONS CLOSE 21 JULY 2017
We are seeking a group of around 10 young people to form our HR Team and help us recruit the best possible staff to YACVic. Every time YACVic interviews a potential new employee someone from this team will participate as an equal member on the interview panel alongside staff members.
You will ask questions of applicants in the interview, lend your perspective to the selection process and contribute to the recruitment of the new staff member. While assisting YACVic you will also gain great insights into the recruitment process and what makes a successful applicant.
This is a voluntary role and travel and food expenses will be covered (see below).
You will have support from the Office Manager, who coordinates all recruitment at YACVic, and from the Participation & Development Coordinator, who supports youth engagement within YACVic.
What is expected of me?
You will attend a three-hour induction training session at YACVic’s office (Melbourne CBD) on Saturday 29 July – this will cover HR (Human Resources) policies, recruitment procedure, role clarification, and the chance to get to know the others in the group. And lunch!
When we are recruiting a new staff member we will contact the HR Team to put your name forward if you are free. We can’t say exactly how many opportunities there will be as the nature of recruitment is sporadic; however, we will do our best to give you as much notice as we can.
When you are selected to be on an interview panel this will usually take place Mon–Fri and be in Melbourne CBD at the YACVic office. The majority of opportunities will take one full working day (9am to 5pm) with up to four interviews. When there are fewer interviews the day will be shorter and we will endeavour to schedule these to make it possible for those living in rural or regional areas.
There will usually be an additional one to two hours of reading time (prior to the day) to go through our policies, the position description and job applications.
What will I get from this?
A unique opportunity to see and experience interviews from the interviewer’s chair and build an understanding of what makes a good or bad interview
- A full briefing on the role of YACVic and how the job fits within the organisation
- The opportunity to build relationships with YACVic staff
- The opportunity to lend your voice to decision-making processes
- Training in HR and interviewing processes
- Lunch on induction day
- Out-of-pocket travel and food costs reimbursed for both induction and any interview panels you are selected to be on
What will I actually be doing?
You’ll start by doing an induction training session and then putting your name forward to be on a panel when an opportunity arises that fits your availability.
Once you’ve been allocated an interview panel you’ll be given some reading ahead of the interview day.
On the day itself you’ll be in every interview asking interview questions and will be asked to provide clear feedback about candidates and engage in a decision-making discussion after interviews, for example:
- What did you think about their answers?
- Were they engaging and do you think they would fit in with the YACVic office culture?
- Were they warm/friendly and respectful with/to you?
- Do you feel they understand young people and youth issues?
What skills/knowledge will I develop through this opportunity?
- Knowledge about the role of YACVic and our partner agencies
- Communication skills
- Interviewing skills – as an interviewer and a candidate!
- Knowledge of YACVic’s recruitment processes and what to look for in a preferred candidate
- An understanding of the importance of each role within an organisation and how they work together
To express your interest in the above opportunity, please complete the following form by 18 July 2017 apply here.
Expressions of interest will be assessed and applicants notified of outcome by 21 July 2017. All applicants will be contacted, regardless of outcome, to identify areas of interest for future opportunities.
Induction training will take place on Saturday 29 July at YACVic in Melbourne CBD between 12-3pm .
If you would rather speak to a YACVic staff member and have them fill out the form, or if you need any help filling in the form, please contact Sam Champion on 9267 3702.