Term: External contractor position from 1 June 2017 – 20 October 2017 (approx. 20 weeks)
Hours: Between 10 and 20 per week (fluctuating)
Remuneration: $20,000 total payment (includes all superannuation and other on costs
Location: One day per week from YACVic HQ (3/180 Flinders Street Melbourne), the remainder of hours worked flexibly off site.
Youth Affairs Council Victoria (YACVic) is the peak body and leading policy advocate on young people’s issues in Victoria. YACVic invites expressions of interest (EOIs) in a temporary position coordinating its 2017 state conference.
We hold conferences for the Victorian youth sector on a semi-regular basis; our last was in 2012. This year we are holding a three-day event from 18–20 October 2017 at the Pullman Hotel in East Melbourne. We will attract between 400 and 600 delegates to the event. The conference is targeted at youth sector workers and youth work (and related fields) students.
We need someone to coordinate the conference program.
This role will focus on organising a variety of workshops, panel discussion, plenaries and key note speakers for the three days. This role will also assist our team to think through our conference themes and sessions better, investigate possible speakers and panellist and coordinate the callout for, and selection of workshops and short sessions.
While your priority will be the program, it is essential you work with the YACVic conference organising team on whatever is required so that we have a well-organised event.
- Coordinate the external stakeholder conference reference group
- Coordinate an internal conference organising group
- Create a program framework and timetable
- Work with YACVic’s CEO and communications team to create key messaging for conference publicity
- Investigate and contact possible conference keynote speakers, internationally, from around Australia and within Victoria
- Secure speakers for keynote addresses, panel discussions and other plenary sessions, brief them and ensure they are fully supported to attend the conference
- Coordinate EOI for and selection of conference workshops and presentations
- Manage speakers and presenters at the event, so they are on time, know where to go and have access to what they need.
About the candidate
We are looking for someone who is flexible, motivated and willing to play an active part in collaborating to put on a meaningful conference for the youth sector. You will be self-motivated, with excellent communication and organisational skills. You must have an Australian Business Number (ABN).
YACVic is an Equal Opportunity Employer. YACVic promotes the safety, wellbeing and inclusion of all children and young people, including those with a disability, those who are Aboriginal or those from refugee or migrant backgrounds. We take child protection very seriously. All employees, contractors included, are subject to screening and assessment against child safety standards, including rigorous background, identity and reference checks. The successful applicant will require a current Working with Children Check and Police Check (costs reimbursed) and must agree to adhere to our child safe policy and code of conduct.
- conference or event organising
- youth and/or community services sector content (e.g. theory and practice, key and emerging issues)
- building and maintaining stakeholder networks, e.g. reference groups time management and working autonomously
- the principles of youth participation
- ethical practice and working appropriately with children and young people.
The deadline for EOIs is 9am Monday 22 May 2017.
If you have any questions about this role, please call Georgie Ferrari, YACVic CEO, on 0411 484 428.